Ep. 21 A 504 Plan vs An IEP - What's the Difference?Jun 09, 2023
The 504 Plan and the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) were both created under federal laws and provide accommodations and support to students with disabilities at no cost to the family. They share the same end goal, but they differ in the level of intervention and individualization offered.
The purpose of a 504 Plan is to provide a blueprint for how the school will provide accommodations and supports to remove barriers for the student. An IEP takes it a step further and provides a specific individualized education plan the school will follow to meet the student's specific educational needs. In this episode, I expand on examples of what these two frameworks look like in practice and explain who qualifies for them.
- Examples of the support that a 504 Plan provides
- Why a student who doesn't qualify for an IEP may still qualify for a 504 Plan
- What to do if you disagree with your child’s school regarding the 504 Plan or IEP
- Requirements for IEP eligibility
- The strict legal requirements required for creating an IEP
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.